Tips to Ensure Electrical Safety

It is a proven fact that everyone’s lives are almost totally dependent on electricity. A one-hour blackout can send some people into a whirlwind not knowing what to do, are unable to get any important work finished, what they are going to do without electricity to charge their computers and cell phones and more. The dependency on electricity is increasing so it is time to learn sometimes about electrical safety.

Electrical safety is important to know because there are many hazards that can happen from not following the basics of handling electrical appliances and electricity in general. It you mishandle electrical appliances or handle them without using the right safety measures can result in electrical fires. Many fires that occur each year are due to electricity mishandling or not following electricity safety. Adults and children both should learn about electrical safety.

One of the most important things to remember in regards to electrical safety is to avoid exposing appliances and electrical outlets to water. This type of combination can be very dangerous so if you have wet hands do not plug or unplug electrical appliances or touch electrical outlets. If you have any electrical outlets in areas that are water prone like your kitchen or bathroom you should have a Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter (GFCI). This piece of electrical equipment, in case of exposure to water, will help to prevent shocks.

When you are unplugging a cord make sure that you do not tug on the cord but instead pull out the plug. If you tug on the cord instead of pulling it out by the plug it can result in the exposure of electrical wires. It can also be harmful. Any appliance that you are not constantly using should be unplugged. There are some appliances that generate heat, like your refrigerator and television, which should be located in areas that have an open space around them. This will help to normalize the high temperatures they put out. Make sure that any appliances that generate heat are not cramped up with other appliances around them because they could overheat and cause problems.

Before you plug in any appliance make sure that you are checking the wattage because there could be a variation in wattage that could cause short circuits and electrical shocks, which can be dangerous. Make sure that you do not overload an electrical socket with too many appliances. If you need to use a surge protector instead of an extension cord. Cover any open electrical outlets with a face place to prevent any exposure of open wires.